Fly fishing in Durango is one of the city’s most impressive offerings. And fly fishing on the Animas River is great, with rainbow, brown, brookies and cutthroat jumping high!
Spring isn’t the best time for fly fishing in Durango — spring runoff is too high and too fast — but now is the perfect time to get prepped for the Durango fly fishing season. The 2017 Duranglers Fly Fishing Festival is this weekend, March 31 through April 1, at that DoubleTree Hotel! Learn new techniques through demonstrations and presentations, and get prepped for the season with new gear!
FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2017
Steve Henderson, who owns and operates Henderson’s Fly Fishing guide service in Steamboat Springs, will present “Exploring The Yampa River” in the Animas Room at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel. Steamboat Springs is similar to Durango: They’re both mountain resort towns and they both have rivers that run right through the city offering world-class fishing. In Durango, it’s the Animas River, and Steamboat Springs has the Yampa River. There will be a social from 6:30-7 p.m. before Henderson presents when, why and various ways to fish the Yampa River.
SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2017
Doors open at 8 a.m. for the daylong Duranglers‘ Fly Fishing Festival! Things kick off with some sweet swag, and the first 30 people through the doors get a bag of goodies — one of which has a $100 gift card tucked inside. Get it!
There will also be Door Buster sales on gear and free drawings throughout the day for great items. Stick around for the Grand Prize Drawing at 4 p.m. for a free Duranglers-guided float trip on the Rio Grande River. (The more events you attend, the better your chances are of winning!)
Here’s a breakdown of the schedule:
- 8-11 a.m. — Catch this fly-tying demonstration with Mike Sulkoski, a long-time guide and an expert fly-tier. Sulkoski will be in the shop tying flies, so stop by to watch, learn and ask questions.
- 8:45-9:15 a.m. — Sam Spillane, a passionate angler and a sales representative for Hatch Reels, will present “Hatch Reels: What does it mean To Be Finatical?”
- 9:45-10:30 a.m. — Zack Dalton with Rio Fly Lines will teach guests what they need to know in order to choose the best line for their needs during “Understanding Fly Line Design.”
- 11-11:30 a.m. — Chad Harkins and Carly Kolstedt, sales reps from Simms, will talk about how to stay comfortable from wet wading to winter steelhead during the “Equipping For The Extremes: Summer and Winter” presentation.
- Noon — Enjoy lunch on Duranglers at Santa Rita Park on the banks of the Animas River at 2700 Main Ave. in Durango.
- Noon-2 p.m. — During “Casting With Erik and Jake” at Santa Rita Park, Erik Johnson and Jake McKittrick will offer casting tips and help visitors try out a wide variety of single and 2 handed Sage & Scott Rods.
- 12:30-1 p.m. — Dave Allen, a Patagonia sales rep, presents “Patagonia Foot Tractor Clinic/Demo” at Santa Rita Park. Dave will demonstrate how these wading boots mow though anything on the riverbed, and guests can try them out, too.
- 1-1:30 p.m. — Carly Kolstedt, is one of Duranglers’ Simms reps and will be available to answer questions and demonstrated techniques during “Fly Fishing Basics For Women.”
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. — Josh Graffam, a sales rep for Umpqua and an “awesome angler” will present new ideas, tips and trips that will give you the tools you need to be a better angler during the “Euro Nymphing” presentation.
- 4 p.m. — Catch the Grand Prize Drawing for your chance to win a free, guided float trip on the Rio Grande River! It may be your lucky day!
- 7 p.m. — The 2017 Fly Fishing Film Tour will be at the Durango Arts Center. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 8 p.m. Get your discounted tickets from Duranglers.
Fly fishing in Durango is serious business, and when it comes to fly fishing, Animas River is the place to be. The 2017 Durango Fly Fishing Festival is the perfect way to kick off the season and get to know more about the regional fishing specifics to have your best angling trips ever.
The Durango Quality Inn is less than a block from the banks of the Animas River, which makes our hotel a popular spot for visitors who want to get on the river for tubing or fishing. Whether you’ll be in town this weekend for a future fly fishing trip, book your room with the Quality Inn Durango today!